Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Come and See

Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?” Philip said to him, “Come and see.” — John 1:46


     After spending the last week in Israel, I am grateful to see this verse in a whole new light. Nazareth was a nothing town and hardly on any map. It was the most unlikely place to produce anything or anyone of any repute. I know this because I have been shown the archaeological evidence that suggests the size of the town was miniscule compared to those around it. Nevertheless, it produced a teacher who gathered round him a host of followers that slowly spread to every corner of the world.
     Before his word was shared everywhere though, it was shared to small crowds of people willing to listen. When Nathanael asked what could be remarkable that came from nowhere, Philip did not try to explain the message or summarize it or sell it in any way. He simply suggested Nathanael come hear the words for himself.

     Jesus turned and saw them following and said to them, “What are you seeking?” And they said to him, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” 
     “Come and see,” He replied. So they went and saw where He was staying, and spent that day with Him. -John 1:38-39



     I have been blessed to be able to see the ruins confirmed to be the hometown of four of the twelve disciples. It has been my privilege to visit sites that carbon date exactly to the times attributed them in the Bible and fitting the descriptions given. Stories I have heard my whole life from various scriptures meld into one continuous line when I get the chance to see and feel their proximity to one another. After witnessing many excavations still being conducted and putting my hand on the Western Wall, I know that I am touching history.



     I have been a Christian my entire life, but this does not mean that I carry with me no doubts. I continue to wrestle with the idea of supernatural wonders, just as I imagine anyone of us does. However, after seeing how much of the story has been confirmed through archaeological studies, corroborated secular histories, and fossil evidence, it is not such a stretch to imagine the rest of the story may be true as well.
     My life continues to be enriched by the faith that I have been granted. It is not and never has felt like any kind of hindrance. With all of the conflict going on around me, I have never been more at peace.

     There is a story in the Bible where Jesus healed a man who had been blind. After the miracle was performed, the people demanded that the man who had been healed explain to them what had happened.

The man replied, "I don't know if he is a sinner or not. All I know is that I used to be blind, but now I can see!" -John 9:25

     When people ask, I cannot tell them who God is to them or who He should be. I cannot explain how He works or does not work. I cannot prove His existence or absence. The truth is, I don't want to. I simply know that my life is and has always been better with His presence in it. So I will come each day and see what He has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment